CCITT defines broadband service as “A service requiring transmission channels capable of supporting rates greater than 1.5 Mbps or primary rate of ISDN or T1 or DS1 in digital terminology.”
The Need for Broadband
- Video Telephony
- Low-cost video conferencing
- High-Definition Television (HDTV)
- hi-fi audio distribution
- LAN interconnect
- CAD / CAM / CAE
- Super-computing and channel extension
- The service demand has changed in nature. Customers want mobility (both terminal and personal), bandwidth on demand, access to management functions, flexibility in establishing connections, end-to-end connectivity, and management.
- A competitive market generally operates more efficiently than a regulated one.
- Equipment and components for the processing and transport of information are becoming increasingly inexpensive.